Contact Shilpa Surana
A former LEED energy model reviewer, Shilpa Surana understands GBCI’s energy model needs. This perspective informs her models for Brightworks clients, quantifying and documenting energy performance.
She provides energy analysis and energy modeling to Brightworks clients. She helps design teams set energy performance targets, identify energy efficiency measures, simulate results, and make expert recommendations based on the relative and absolute impacts of various strategies.
Her modeling experience includes passive strategies, like natural ventilation, displacement ventilation, absorption chillers, thermal storage, geothermal heat pumps, radiant heating and cooling, solar water heating, and photovoltaics.
Using IES VE and eQUEST, she performs detailed comparative analyses of building designs and technologies by applying building energy use simulation techniques, including Title 24 compliance studies. She also performs daylight analysis for Brightworks clients.
She is also experienced in LEED Volume Energy Modeling, as well as bioclimatic analysis, life cycle cost analysis, measurement and verification plans, and energy audits.
In 2017, Shilpa was selected as the Energy Trust of Oregon’s inaugural Net Zero Fellow. Collaborating with partners at Skanska and Gerding Edlen, Shilpa studied two real buildings in the city of Portland – one midrise multifamily and one midrise office – to identify how these same buildings could be built today to approach net zero energy use.
- Whole Building Energy Analysis
- Compliance Modeling for ASHRAE 90.1 (LEED) and Title 24
- IES VE
- Energy Pro
- Familiarity with Design Builder, Energy Plus, Green Building Studio, GAMBIT and FLUENT
- Daylight Modeling
- Natural Ventilation Studies
- Passive House
- LEED for New Construction (NC
- LEED for Core and Shell (LEED CS)
- LEED for Commercial Interiors (LEED CI)
- Life Cycle Analysis
- Carnegie Mellon University
Master of Science in Architecture (Building Performance and Diagnostics)
- London School of Economics and Political Sciences
Master of Science in Environmental Policy and Regulation
- School of Planning & Architecture (New Delhi, India)
Master of Science in Environmental Planning
- Sushant School of Art and Architecture (Gurgaon, Haryana, India)
Bachelor of Science (Architecture)
Technical Credentials & Professional Memberships
- U. S. Green Building Council
LEED Accredited Professional
- Passive House Institute US (PHIUS)
Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC)
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education